- Today’s main news: PayPal to buy iZettle. LendInvest integrates with Stripe. KBRA assigns preliminary ratings to Avant Loans Funding Trust 2018-A. Ant Financial extends dominance.
- Today’s main analysis: SeedInvest delivers 17.4% IRR.
- Today’s thought-provoking articles: UK tech expanding faster than the rest of the economy. Why spreading fiber optic cable in Africa offers hope. Digital transformation is key to Argentina’s future. Bitcoin boosts fintech startups including Revolut and Robinhood.
- KBRA assigns preliminary ratings to Avant Loans Funding Trust 2018-A.
- SeedInvest delivers 17.4% IRR. AT: “This is today’s must-read. SeedInvest is delivering some impressive returns.”
- Why women entrepreneurs have greater crowdfunding success.
- Small Change lists side-by-side Reg D 506c, Reg CF offers.
- The SEC set up a fake ICO website to teach investors a lesson.
- BlackRock’s bet on Acorns.
- Fundation secures $120 million.
- TransUnion to acquire iovation.
- PR Mortgage & Investments selects SS&C Precision LM to support lending operations.
- LendInvest integrates with Stripe. AT: “This is a good union.”
- UK tech is expanding faster than the rest of the economy.
- HSBC partners on open banking.
- P2P lending withholding tax obligations.
- Ablrate acquires equity in Huddle.
- Atom Bank launches mortgages for first-time buyers.
- BitBose: Another ICO for another crypto lending, investment platform.
- PayPal to acquire iZettle for about $2.2 billion. AT: “This is huge news. If PayPal becomes a regular option in retail stores alongside Visa and Mastercard, it could become the defacto payment option for the majority of consumers. Of course, it will still have to compete with Square, Affirm, and Klarna. It’s bright spot is the massive head start is has over all of the above.”
- Bitcoin boosts fintechs. AT: “I just can’t see any way that lenders and othe fintech companies to lose by offering crypto alternatives to their current products.”
- China: Ant Financial extends its dominance.
- India: Open raises new funds.
- India: How lending money to SMEs has evolved.
- Asia: Validus, Lighthouse Canton launch $20 million SME financing fund.
- Africa: Why spreading the network of fiber optic cables carries so much hope.
- Latin America: Why digital transformation is key to Argentina’s future.
- United States
- KBRA Assigns Preliminary Ratings to Avant Loans Funding Trust 2018-A (Business Wire) Rated: AAA
- SeedInvest Publishes Report on Investor Returns, Delivers IRR of 17.4% (Crowdfund Insider) Rated: AAA
- Study Details Why Women Entrepreneurs Have Greater Crowdfunding Success (Entrepreneur) Rated: A
- Real Estate Crowdfunding Platform Small Change Lists Side by Side Reg CF – Reg D 506c Offer (Crowdfund Insider) Rated: A
- The SEC Just Launched a Fake ICO Website to Educate Investors (CoinDesk) Rated: A
- BlackRock’s bet on Acorns is a bet on tomorrow’s investor (Financial Planning) Rated: A
- Fundation grabs $ 120 mln from SunTrust (PE Hub) Rated: A
- TransUnion Announces Agreement to Acquire iovation to Strengthen Fraud and Identity Solutions (Omaha World-Herald) Rated: A
- PR Mortgage & Investments Selects SS&C Precision LM to Support Its Agency Lending Operations (SS&C Technologies) Rated: B
- United Kingdom
- LendInvest Announces Integration With Payments Platform Stripe To Streamline Loan Application Process (Crowdfund Insider) Rated: AAA
- Tech Nation 2018 report: UK tech expanding faster than the rest of the economy (Information Age) Rated: AAA
- HSBC to tap Open Banking potential through new partnership (AltFi News) Rated: A
- Peer to Peer (P2P) Lending – Withholding Tax Obligations – Borrowers (and Lenders) Beware (Lexology) Rated: A
- Ablrate takes equity stake in Huddle (Peer2Peer Finance) Rated: A
- Atom Bank launches mortgages for first-time buyers (AltFi News) Rated: A
- BitBose ICO (BOSE Token): Crypto Lending & Investment Platform (Bitcoin Exchange Guide) Rated: B
- Ant Financial extends dominance in Chinese online finance (Financial Times) Rated: AAA
- European Union
- Hermes launches European Direct Lending Fund (AltFi News) Rated: A
- Lendix Appoints Luuc Mannaerts As New CEO of Lender Nederland (Crowdfund Insider) Rated: B
- PayPal Agrees to Buy European Fintech Startup iZettle for About $ 2.2 Billion (Wall Street Journal) Rated: AAA
- Bitcoin is steroids for fintech startups that big banks are afraid to touch (Quartz) Rated: AAA
- Fintech Startup Open Raises Pre-Series A Funding (Inc42) Rated: AAA
- How has lending Money to SME evolved in India? (The Indian Wire) Rated: A
- Validus, Lighthouse Canton launch S$ 20m SME financing fund (The Business Times) Rated: A
- Why the Spreading Network of Fibre Optic Cables Carries So Much Hope for Africa (Equities) Rated: AAA
- Latin America
- Why Digital Transformation Is Key to Argentina’s Future (Knowledge@Wharton) Rated: AAA
KBRA Assigns Preliminary Ratings to Avant Loans Funding Trust 2018-A (Business Wire) Rated: AAA
-Kroll Bond Rating Agency (KBRA) assigns preliminary ratings to three classes of notes issued by Avant Loans Funding Trust 2018-A (“AVNT 2018-A”). This is a $221.935 million consumer loan ABS transaction that is expected to close on May 31, 2018.
Preliminary Ratings Assigned: Avant Loans Funding Trust 2018-A
|Class||Preliminary Rating||Expected Initial
SeedInvest Publishes Report on Investor Returns, Delivers IRR of 17.4% (Crowdfund Insider) Rated: AAA
SeedInvest, one of the largest investment crowdfunding platforms in the US, has released a performance report on investor returns. SeedInvest has been in operation since 2013 following the creation of accredited crowdfunding under Title II of the JOBS Act (Reg D 506c). Since that date, SeedInvest has become a full stack crowdfunding platform offering investments in the three different crowdfunding exemptions to both accredited and non-accredited investors.
According to SeedInvest, investors on their platform have generated an unrealized Internal Rate of Return (IRR) of 17.4%1 since 2013. In comparison, this number is 1.5x greater than the 11.7% median return calculated by research firm Cambridge Associates for U.S. venture capital funds of the same vintage. The term of the report was up to the end of 2017.
SeedInvest said that the top 10% of their listed investors generated an a whopping 76.86% IRR while the bottom 10% delivered a negative 7.4% IRR. SeedInvest estimated that only 1.3% of their platform investors who have invested in three or more companies have generated negative unrealized IRR.
Check out the full report here.
Study Details Why Women Entrepreneurs Have Greater Crowdfunding Success (Entrepreneur) Rated: A
Crowdsourcing has emerged as a positive platform for women. The National Women’s Business Council released a report — Crowdfunding as a Capital Source for Women Entrepreneurs — based on exclusive and original data from the two leading crowdsourcing platforms, Kickstarter and Kiva. The goal was to determine various predictors of success on crowdsourcing platforms for women business owners, and if those predictors of success were different than their male counterparts.
Real Estate Crowdfunding Platform Small Change Lists Side by Side Reg CF – Reg D 506c Offer (Crowdfund Insider) Rated: A
Recently, Small Change has listed their first side-by-side Reg D 506c / Reg CF offering thus leveraging a work around other securities crowdfunding platforms in the early stage space have incorporated.
The SEC Just Launched a Fake ICO Website to Educate Investors (CoinDesk) Rated: A
The regulator announced Wednesday it has launched a mock ICO called HoweyCoin, presumably named after the Howey Test, which “touts an all too good to be true investment opportunity.”
However, the company notes, “the offer isn’t real.” Users who try to invest in the token sale will instead be redirected to the regulator’s education tools, which are aimed at pointing out the signs of fraudulent token sales.
BlackRock’s bet on Acorns is a bet on tomorrow’s investor (Financial Planning) Rated: A
BlackRock’s investment in microinvesting app Acorns underscores an evolution occurring in financial services in its shift toward digital — that gaining scale early will be essential to amassing future client assets.
The world’s largest asset manager is leading a $50 million funding round that will build out the startup’s portfolio stack with new investment options. It also gives BlackRock an inside look into the behavior of next generation investors, which it says will help fine-tune future releases and broaden its appeal beyond large institutions and pension funds.
Fundation grabs $ 120 mln from SunTrust (PE Hub) Rated: A
Fundation Group LLC, a lender and credit solutions provider, has secured a $120 million credit facility from SunTrust Bank. Fundation is also backed by Waterfall Asset Management and is majority-owned by Garrison Investment Group.
TransUnion Announces Agreement to Acquire iovation to Strengthen Fraud and Identity Solutions (Omaha World-Herald) Rated: A
TransUnion (NYSE:TRU) has agreed to acquire iovation, one of the most advanced providers of device-based information in the world, strengthening its leadership position in fraud and identity management.
PR Mortgage & Investments Selects SS&C Precision LM to Support Its Agency Lending Operations (SS&C Technologies) Rated: B
SS&C Technologies Holdings, Inc. (Nasdaq:SSNC), a global provider of financial services software and software-enabled services, today announced that PR Mortgage & Investment Corp. (“PR Mortgage”) has selected SS&C Precision LM to support loan servicing and origination for HUD/Ginnie Mae, Fannie Mae, Freddie Mac and its banking programs. SS&C Precision LM will also enhance PR Mortgage’s asset management and investor reporting, and provide secure web-based portals for borrower self-service and document workflow automation.
LendInvest Announces Integration With Payments Platform Stripe To Streamline Loan Application Process (Crowdfund Insider) Rated: AAA
On Thursday, specialist property finance lender LendInvest announced it has expanded on its long-term partnership with Stripe by integrated the payments platform in order to streamline its loan application process. According to the online lender, the new integration will be embedded in the primary stages of the buy-to-let loan application process. LendInvest reported:
“Stripe allows the broker to pay the valuation fee through LendInvest’s online buy-to-let portal immediately after the borrower’s application forms have been signed. This process was previously handled manually, with the case manager having to call the broker and then the borrower to arrange payment. Managing these payments centrally through LendInvest’s self-service online portal cuts down the overall time taken to complete the application, whilst providing a transparent way to track this stage of the application process.”
Tech Nation 2018 report: UK tech expanding faster than the rest of the economy (Information Age) Rated: AAA
Tech is expanding 2.6 times faster than the rest of the UK economy, according to Tech Nation’s 2018 report. The digital tech sector is worth nearly £184 billion to UK economy, up from £170 billion in 2016.
London ranks as second most connected place for tech in the world, after Silicon Valley. But, when it comes to proportion of overseas customers, the UK capital trumps the self-appointed tech capital of the world.
The UK’s digital tech sector continues to accelerate faster than the rest of the economy, according to Tech Nation 2018. Turnover of digital tech companies grew by 4.5% between 2016-17 compared to UK GDP which grew by 1.7% over the same period, according to the figures.
HSBC to tap Open Banking potential through new partnership (AltFi News) Rated: A
HSBC UK is set to capitalise on the opportunities presented by Open Banking after agreeing to a partnership with consents.online, an Account Information Service Provider (AISP).
Under the deal, HSBC can access consumer transaction data held by other organisations. The bank plans to use this information to launch new consumer products.
It will also use consents.online’s consent management architecture, which allows consumers to view and control how their data is used. The platform gives consumers and small businesses the ability to see who is accessing their data and to control access – with the power to revoke it at any time.
Peer to Peer (P2P) Lending – Withholding Tax Obligations – Borrowers (and Lenders) Beware (Lexology) Rated: A
Borrowers and lenders should be aware that currently Ireland’s withholding tax regime has not been amended for P2P Lending (aside the ability in certain circumstances to group payments together to the same lender in a calendar year) and in that regard the Irish Revenue Commissioners have issued a timely Revenue eBrief reminding Irish corporate borrowers (as well as lenders) of their Irish tax obligations. In particular the general obligation on an Irish corporate borrower2 to, amongst other things, withhold tax on interest payments made on the finance raised, at the standard rate (currently 20%) subject to certain exceptions, most of which will not apply where the lender is an individual, regardless of where resident.
Ablrate takes equity stake in Huddle (Peer2Peer Finance) Rated: A
ABLRATE has taken an equity stake in fellow peer-to-peer lender Huddle, as part of a wider strategic partnership between the two platforms.
Under the new deal, Ablrate has taken a minority holding in the business lender and the two platforms will share their investor bases.
Atom Bank launches mortgages for first-time buyers (AltFi News) Rated: A
Digital banking app Atom has launched first-time buyer products on its standalone Digital Mortgages platform.
The new loans will offer first-time home-buyers £500 cashback, along with a free valuation and no product fee. The newly-launched range will be available for mortgages between 80-95 per cent loan-to-value (LTV). The range consists of two, three and five-year fixed rates mortgages, with rates starting at 2.24 per cent.
The platform has also extended its existing range by adding 95 per cent LTV products for its purchase and remortgage products.
Furthermore, Atom has removed the £300,000 limit on first-time buyer applications and increased its maximum mortgage term from 35 to 40 years – changes meant to increase its flexibility and in line with broker feedback.
BitBose ICO (BOSE Token): Crypto Lending & Investment Platform (Bitcoin Exchange Guide) Rated: B
- The platform will also have the Bitbose crypto loans program that will allow users to be able to receive real cash by holding to their crypto assets in a secured platform. The program offers an easy way for users to get money without having to sell their crypto assets. The program will have an easy to borrow and lend application, almost instant approval of loans and the borrower will get their cash instantly since it will be credited to borrower’s bank account. The interest rates are also competitive and do not have advance payment requirements. Another significant feature of the program is the lack of a capital block. Users of the program can withdraw their assets back anytime.
Ant Financial extends dominance in Chinese online finance (Financial Times) Rated: AAA
In documents reviewed by the FT Ant Financial says they now have more than 620 million users and their wealth management business has $345bn in assets under management; the information was put together for investors as the fintech company looks to raise $10bn of new capital; reports say the round is already oversubscribed and would value Ant Financial at more than $160bn
Hermes launches European Direct Lending Fund (AltFi News) Rated: A
Hermes Investment Management has launched the Hermes European Direct Lending following on from the launch of a UK direct lending fund in 2016.
Also headed by Patrick Marshall, Hermes head of private debt & CLOs, the European focused direct lending fund aims to offer institutional investors access to stable, low-correlated returns from high-quality, senior-secured loans.
These loans are typically to middle-market businesses in the UK and Europe, with a focus on Scandinavia, Germany, Benelux and Ireland.
Lendix Appoints Luuc Mannaerts As New CEO of Lender Nederland (Crowdfund Insider) Rated: B
Earlier this week, France-based online lending platform Lendix announced it has appointed Luuc Mannaerts as the new CEO of Lender Nederland, Lendix’s Dutch subsidiary. According to the online lender, Mannaerts has more than 20 years of experience in the Dutch and European banking sector.
Prior to joining Lendix, Mannaerts was CEO of ABN AMRO Commercial Finance, an ABN AMRO subsidiary with over 500 employees and specializing in SME finance in the Netherlands, the UK, France, and Germany. Lendix also revealed that thanks to his background, Mannaerts has specialized knowledge of the Dutch SME fabric
PayPal Agrees to Buy European Fintech Startup iZettle for About $ 2.2 Billion (Wall Street Journal) Rated: AAA
PayPal Holdings Inc. has agreed to buy European financial-technology startup iZettle AB for about $2.2 billion, a move that would catapult the U.S. digital-payments giant into hundreds of thousands of brick-and-mortar retailers around the world.
The acquisition, the largest in PayPal’s history, sets up a showdown between the San Jose, Calif., company and Jack Dorsey’s Square Inc.
Bitcoin is steroids for fintech startups that big banks are afraid to touch (Quartz) Rated: AAA
Making money by trading bitcoin, whose price has fallen by about 40%this year, has been difficult lately. But startups that provide services supporting crypto markets are faring much better. Companies like Revolut, a payment app, and Robinhood, a mobile broker, scoredlegions of new customers after they added buying and selling of digital tokens to their services.
TransferGo, a remittance company, is another fintech upstart that plans to offer crypto trading to customers. CEO Daumantas Dvilinskas says users were asking for ways to buy digital assets—about 4,000 people pre-registered for the service in just a few hours. The London-based firm, which announced today that it raised an additional $10 million from venture capital investors, will soon allow customers to buy and sell bitcoin, ethereum, XRP, litecoin, and bitcoin cash.
Fintech Startup Open Raises Pre-Series A Funding (Inc42) Rated: AAA
Bengaluru-based fintech startup Open Financial Technologies has raised an undisclosed amount of pre-series A funding led by Unicorn India Ventures and Recruit Co. Ltd, through its investment subsidiary RSP India Fund LLC.
Existing investors ISME-ACE and Vaibhav Domkundwar’s BetterCapital AngelList syndicate also participated in the round.
How has lending Money to SME evolved in India? (The Indian Wire) Rated: A
According to a report by Planning Commission of India, the MSME sector comprises 30 million establishments. It generates employment for 70 million people, manufactures over 6000 products, and contributes 45% to manufacturing output and 40% to exports. These statistics validate the fact that MSME sector is the backbone of the Indian economy.
There are several reasons why small and medium-size enterprises are unable to secure easy and quick business loans in India:
- They do not have hard assets to mortgage, which disqualifies them from loans offered by most credit channels.
- They do not have documented credit scores to assess their creditworthiness.
- The loan application process in banks and other mainstream financial institutions is very tedious.
Validus, Lighthouse Canton launch S$ 20m SME financing fund (The Business Times) Rated: A
VALIDUS Capital and Lighthouse Canton Group launched a S$20 million fund to finance small and medium enterprises (SMEs) in Singapore on Friday, and hope to grow the fund to S$200 million in the next three years.
The LCV Trade Finance Fund will invest in loans that originate from Validus’ peer-to-peer lending platform.
Why the Spreading Network of Fibre Optic Cables Carries So Much Hope for Africa (Equities) Rated: AAA
The growing fibre infrastructure also has a direct impact on labour markets across the continent as the demand for specialized technicians and engineers increases. Plus, because fibre gives users and businesses access to more bandwidth, this technology is helping spur growth for small businesses directly and indirectly.
To illustrate, online P2P lending platforms such as Kiva and Lending Club have become quite popular with small businesses around the continent that now maintain an online presence. As a result, small business owners have ready access to unsecured business lines of credit, which helps them grow outside the confines of traditional financial systems.
Why Digital Transformation Is Key to Argentina’s Future (Knowledge@Wharton) Rated: AAA
A surging U.S. dollar is playing havoc with its interest rates and the central bank pushed the key rate from 27.25% to a stunning 40% recently to support the peso. Even that was not enough to stem the run on the currency, and last week the government requested aid from the International Monetary Fund in the form of a $30 billion credit line.
In a country that has one of the smallest financial systems in the world as a percentage of GDP (14%), some of the world’s highest interest rates, and where nearly half of the population is unbanked, the opportunities presented by digital technologies are tremendous.
These include 123Seguro, the largest online insurance broker in Argentina, Mexico and Colombia, which is growing over 50% per year with an admittedly simple offering, and Afluenta, a peer-to-peer lending platform serving Mexico, Peru, Colombia and Argentina, and now expanding into Brazil, Chile and Uruguay.