- Today’s main news: dv01 to expand into mortgages. Zopa prepares for next-gen bank launch. JD Finance raises over $2B. Moody’s assigns ratings to Prospa. Namaste Credit raises $3.8M.
- Today’s main analysis: Venture capital reaches record high.
- Today’s thought-provoking articles: Interview with Prosper’s CFO. Fintech lenders give mortgage borrowers an edge. Hexindai’s IPO prospectus. Where top European banks are investing. What Aussie SME lenders have learned from U.S. lenders.
- dv01 expands into mortgages. AT: “Acting as loan data agent for $275 million securitization. I’ll say it again: This will be the year of increased securitizations.”
- Interview with Prosper’s CFO. AT: “Usama Ashraf has a lot to say about Prosper’s past and future, the personal loan market, investing with Prosper, and the blockchain. A great read.”
- How fintech lenders give mortgage borrowers an edge.
- Mastercard looks to blockchain to fight fake identities.
- How U.S. banks are preparing for GDPR.
- Cross River selected as two-time winner of LendIt award.
- Stash partners with Green Dot to be a challenger bank. AT: “I thought Stash was appealing before. This makes them even more appealing, but will they compete?”
- How local banks are staying ahead.
- Plaid rolls out Assets, Day 1 Certainty.
- Zopa prepares for next-gen bank launch. AT: “Zopa’s bank launch will be a big splash in a fairly decent-sized pool. Challenger banks are more popular in the UK than the U.S. Zopa has already started restructuring to make its banking introduction.”
- RateSetter review.
- Finastra uses Microsoft Azure to take mortgage lending solutions to the cloud.
- Nuggets to lead tech mission to China.
- Fintech VC investment hits record $27.4 billion.
- Botbird offers crypto investing with P2P lending.
- Innovative mobile money services on the horizon.
- Alchemy is a blockchain P2P lending startup to watch.
- Moody’s assigns Prospa rating.
- How fintech lenders have learnt from the U.S.
- Online small business lending is growing fast.
- Australians getting short-changed on financial advice.
- Namaste Credit raises rs 25 crore.
- P2P lenders consider blockchain for risk mitigation.
- 5 benefits to P2P lending.
- United States
- dv01 Announces Expansion Into Mortgages; Signs As Loan Data Agent For CSMC 2018-RPL2 (Crowdfund Insider) Rated: AAA
- CFO Usama Ashraf Talks Borrowing and Investing with Prosper (LEndEDU) Rated: AAA
- How fintech lenders give mortgage borrowers an edge (Market Watch) Rated: AAA
- Cross River Selected As Two-Time Winner In LendIt Fintech Industry Awards (PR Newswire) Rated: B
- Mastercard Eyes Blockchain for Fighting Fake Identities (Coindesk) Rated: A
- How US banks are preparing for the GDPR (Tearsheet) Rated: A
- Stash Teams with Green Dot to Become a Challenger Bank (Finovate) Rated: A
- ‘In this market, it’s disrupt or die’: The innovations local banks are using to stay ahead (Orlando Business Journal) Rated: A
- Plaid Assets and Day 1 Certainty: a win-win solution for digital mortgage (Plaid) Rated: B
- United Kingdom
- Bank and P2P boards take shape as Zopa prepares for next gen bank launch (Global Banking and Finance Review) Rated: AAA
- Ratesetter review: peer-to-peer lender’s best rates, risks and more (Love Money) Rated: AAA
- Finastra brings mortgage solutions to the cloud with Microsoft Azure (Finastra) Rated: A
- Government chooses fintech start-up to lead UK tech mission to China (Internet of Business) Rated: B
- China: WeiyangX Fintech Review (Crowdfund Insider) Rated: AAA
- Hexindai: Don’t Miss Out On A Good Target Because Of Industry-Wide Concerns (Seeking Alpha) Rated: AAA
- European Union
- Where top European banks are investing in fintech – CB Insights (Fintech Futures) Rated: AAA
- New Company Opens Door to Malta’s Crypto Market (Nasdaq) Rated: B
- Venture capital investment in FinTech reaches record $ 27.4 billion high (Consultancy) Rated: AAA
- BotBird – Your cryptocurrency investment partner for modern trading! (AMBCrypto) Rated: A
- Trends: More innovative mobile money services on the horizon (The Edge Markets) Rated: A
- 4 Blockchain Startups to Keep an Eye On (Coin Announcer) Rated: B
- Online small business lender assigned Moody’s ratings (Australian Broker) Rated: AAA
- How Australia’s fintech SME lenders have learnt from the US (Finder) Rated: AAA
- Online small business lending growing fast (Australian Broker) Rated: A
- Australians getting short-changed for financial advice, inquiry hears (Rueters) Rated: A
- Namaste Credit raises ₹25 crore (Business Line) Rated: AAA
- Insurance consortium partners Cognizant for data-sharing blockchain (VCCircle) Rated: A
- 5 Benefits of Online Peer-to-peer Lending That You Didn’t Know (Entrepreneur) Rated: B
- Meet FINT, the FinTech Company that wants to change micro-lending in Nigeria (Nairametrics) Rated: AAA
- Personal Loan Products – Are they useful for repaying credit or a bad debt? (The South Africa) Rated: A
- Robo-advisor seen as a step forward for investors (The Malaysian Reserve) Rated: A
dv01 Announces Expansion Into Mortgages; Signs As Loan Data Agent For CSMC 2018-RPL2 (Crowdfund Insider) Rated: AAA
dv01, the data management, reporting, and analytics platform that offers institutional investors transparency and insight into lending markets, announced on Friday it participated in its first mortgage securitization and acted as loan data agent for CSMC 2018-RPL2, a securitization of $275 million re-performing loans serviced by Select Portfolio Servicing (SPS). The company revealed it introduced the role of Loan Data Agent in 2016 and provides Loan Data Agent services for an aggregate securitized collateral balance in excess of $25 billion of online lending loans.
CFO Usama Ashraf Talks Borrowing and Investing with Prosper (LEndEDU) Rated: AAA
Recently, I had the privilege to pick the brain of the Chief Financial Officer (CFO) of an industry leading company in the fintech space. Usama Ashraf is the CFO of Prosper, the first peer-to-peer platform in the US that connects people who want to borrow with individuals and institutions that are looking to invest in consumer credit.
Q: What are some unique challenges that come with the job of managing the finances of Prosper?
A: If you look at our business today, we have a 10+ year track record. We launched in 2006, and we’ve done over $12 billion in cumulative loan originations. A key differentiator in this space is the ability to generate cash flow, and last year, we were cash flow positive for three consecutive quarters starting in Q2.
Q: How has the health of the personal loan market in the recent past impact Prosper’s growth?
A: 2017 really allowed us to stabilize the business. We had stable funding. We had growth of over 30% on the platform, and as mentioned, we generated cash for three consecutive quarters. So, the business is now on a healthy footing, and we’ve returned to strong growth.
Q: Are you optimistic about the overall market in the next few years?
A: The total consumer credit market today is over $10 trillion. When you look at our originations last year, we did about $3 billion. The consumer credit space is a massive market, and it’s also a key element of growth in GDP in the US. 70 percent of GDP comes from consumer spending, so consumer credit and spending is a massive part of the US economy. Since the US economy is mostly expected to grow over the next several years, we are optimistic about the opportunities that growth presents for us.
How fintech lenders give mortgage borrowers an edge (Market Watch) Rated: AAA
- Fintech lenders reduced the time it takes to process a loan by roughly 10 days as compared with the average processing time for mortgages. For refinances, they’re nearly 15 days faster than more traditional lenders.
- In instances where a lender is seeing greater demand for loans, tech-based lenders are better at handling the larger inflow of applications. Double the application volume raised the loan processing time only by 7.5 days for fintech lenders, versus 13.5 days for traditional ones. Moreover, the researchers found that tech-based lenders lower their denial rates when there’s a higher volume of applications.
- In parts of the country where fintech lenders have a greater presence, existing borrowers are more likely to refinance. But the efficiencies created through their platforms make it more likely that borrowers will see an optimal result from a refinancing, including getting the market interest rate.
- The default rate on Federal Housing Administration loans originated by fintech lenders is roughly 25% lower than traditional ones.
Cross River Selected As Two-Time Winner In LendIt Fintech Industry Awards (PR Newswire) Rated: B
Cross River has been selected as the nation’s Most Innovative Bank for the second year in a row at the LendIt Fintech Industry Awards, the world’s leading annual event in financial services innovation, held in San Francisco at LendIt Fintech USA. Other nominees included BankMobile, CBW Bank, Marcus by Goldman Sachs and HSBC.
Mastercard Eyes Blockchain for Fighting Fake Identities (Coindesk) Rated: A
In an application released by the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO) last Thursday, Mastercard describes a system in which a semi-private or private blockchain would be used to receive and store identity data, the pieces of which could include a “name, a street address, tax identification number” and more.
The company states in the filing, which was originally submitted in September 2017, that the tech could help it block the use of fake identity data within its systems.
How US banks are preparing for the GDPR (Tearsheet) Rated: A
On May 25, EU companies will no longer be able to collect and use personal data without the individual’s consent, under the General Data Protection Regulation. U.S.-headquartered banks and fintech companies with global operations are anxiously preparing to comply with the new rules, anticipating a time when U.S. customers will demand the same protections from their home institutions.
Stash Teams with Green Dot to Become a Challenger Bank (Finovate) Rated: A
Mobile financial services company Stash first revealed its plans to launch banking services in October of last year, positioning itself as a challenger bank with mobile-centric investment and retirement capabilities. And, as with all U.S.-based challenger banks, Stash will house the funds at a traditional bank. Today, the New York-based company announced it has selected Green Dot and its subsidiary bank, Green Dot Bank, Member FDIC, to keep user’s funds safe.
Through the partnership with Green Dot, Stash will deliver debit cards with no overdraft fees and provide access to a network of free ATMs across the U.S. The app will also share insight into clients’ financial health, with actionable advice on spending, saving, investing, and retirement via Stash Coach.
‘In this market, it’s disrupt or die’: The innovations local banks are using to stay ahead (Orlando Business Journal) Rated: A
Many Central Florida bank customers nowadays want more than just the ability to move money around. David Stahl, senior vice president, SunTrust: We acquired an online lender called LightStream two years ago and that has been a huge opportunity for us. Personally, I used it. There is a need out there for consumers.
Today, we’re thrilled to announce that our Assets product is out of beta and Plaid is officially approved to supply asset verification reports to Fannie Mae as part of their Day 1 Certainty initiative. This means that lenders can embed Plaid directly into their application experience and provide borrowers with a fast, seamless experience, reduce the time it takes a loan to close, and have peace of mind offered by Fannie Mae’s protection against repurchase for key loan components. It’s a win-win solution.
Using Plaid, borrowers can now share with lenders the data they need, directly from the source, including:
- Bank account, transaction, and bank account owner information from multiple accounts and institutions in a single, standardized JSON report delivered via API
- An auditable PDF version of the same information, also via API
- The ability to permission secondary investors like Fannie Mae to securely retrieve the same data directly from Plaid, enabling programs like Day 1 Certainty
Bank and P2P boards take shape as Zopa prepares for next gen bank launch (Global Banking and Finance Review) Rated: AAA
Zopa, the pioneering financial services company, has today announced a governance restructure in advance of launching its next generation bank.
The re-structure will establish separate boards for the Zopa P2P business, proposed bank (subject to banking licence approval) and Group in order to facilitate the increasing scale of the business, ensure good corporate governance and protect the interests of its customers.
The changes come with the appointment of two new board chairs as well as two new independent non-executive directors to the proposed bank. Christine Farnish will be chair of the P2P board and Peter Herbert will be chair of the proposed bank.
Ratesetter review: peer-to-peer lender’s best rates, risks and more (Love Money) Rated: AAA
RateSetter was founded in 2010 by Rhydian Lewis (pictured) and has been used by more than 62,633 lenders, to lend more than £2.4 billion.
RateSetter will lend to either individuals or businesses. You start by deciding how much to lend: the average amount invested is £14,299, but you can start with £10.
You can borrow between £1,000 and £25,000 – depending on your circumstances.
Finastra brings mortgage solutions to the cloud with Microsoft Azure (Finastra) Rated: A
Finastra is bringing its mortgage lending solutions to the cloud via Microsoft Azure. As part of the strategic alliance between the two companies to use Microsoft’s enterprise-ready, trusted cloud platform as a base for a selection of Finastra’s payments and retail banking technology, Finastra’s Fusion MortgagebotLOS product is now available via the Azure cloud. As of today, US clients that access this service will realize streamlined access to their data, improved operational control and increased productivity.
Government chooses fintech start-up to lead UK tech mission to China (Internet of Business) Rated: B
Fintech start-up Nuggets has been chosen by the UK government and the Mayor of London to embark on two trade missions to China this year.
The company – which has developed a blockchain-based, e-commerce payments and ID platform – will help represent the Department for International Trade, the Greater London Authority, and the City of London Corporation on the trips.
China: WeiyangX Fintech Review (Crowdfund Insider) Rated: AAA
According to a person with direct knowledge of the matter, JD Finance is nearing the closing of a new round of financing of over $2 billion (¥12.6 billion).
After this investment, the market valuation of JD Finance is expected to exceed $20 billion (¥126 billion).
CHINA SECURITIES led this financing, which was followed by Oriza Holdings and other institutional investors.
Hexindai: Don’t Miss Out On A Good Target Because Of Industry-Wide Concerns (Seeking Alpha) Rated: AAA
Hexindai Inc. had their IPO on NASDAQ on November 03, 2017, raising US$50 Million. HX is a fast-growing consumer lending marketplace facilitating loans to meet the increasing consumption demand of the emerging middle class in China.
This “online and offline” model led to significant business growth for HX since its inception. The total amount of loans facilitated through the online marketplace increased by 54.4% from Q2 2016 to Q2 2017. Also, the company has experienced a business shift from collateral loans (auto loans etc.) to credit loans, which drives the boost in the the company’s customer base growth:
Where top European banks are investing in fintech – CB Insights (Fintech Futures) Rated: AAA
Research company CB Insights analysed the private market fintech investment activity of the top European banks and their venture arms, by assets under management (AUM), from 2012 to Q2 2018 (as of 11 April 2018).
According to the graphic below, created by CB Insights, European banks are placing strategic bets across wealth management, lending, payments and regulatory technology and also blockchain.
New Company Opens Door to Malta’s Crypto Market (Nasdaq) Rated: B
Decentralised Ventures is a partnership between Malta-based Initial Coin Offering (ICO) specialist TokenKey and token research and Blockchain consultancy Strategic Coin.
Decentralised Ventures offers a complete list of end-to-end services for any organization involved in or looking to enter the token, crypto or peer-to-peer lending markets.
Venture capital investment in FinTech reaches record $ 27.4 billion high (Consultancy) Rated: AAA
Confidence in FinTech has accelerated venture capital financing in the industry to a record level of $27.4 billion in 2017 – a growth of 18% from 2016. According to a recent report from consulting firm Accenture, the growth in FinTech investment has been driven by a surge in deal value in the US, UK and India.
In the US, the value of venture capital investment deals jumped 31% to $11.3 billion in 2017. Meanwhile, in the UK, deal values almost quadrupled to $3.4 billion, while India saw a near quintupling of investment to $2.4 billion in 2017. The volume of global FinTech deals also rose greatly, from about 1,800 in 2016 to almost 2,700 in 2017.
BotBird – Your cryptocurrency investment partner for modern trading! (AMBCrypto) Rated: A
BotBird is introducing Social Peer-to-Peer Lending Market where the community members can make use of their digital assets as collateral to get cash. This involves no risk and is equally benefited to both the borrowers and lenders. The main goal of BotBird is to connect the lenders and borrowers across the world through the P2P lending marketplace.
Lenders can earn up to 50 percent monthly interest while trading.
Trends: More innovative mobile money services on the horizon (The Edge Markets) Rated: A
According to McKinsey & Co’s global banking report released last month, digital finance has the potential to reach more than 1.6 billion new retail customers in emerging economies and increase the volume of loans extended to individuals and businesses by US$2.1 trillion (RM8.1 trillion).
According to statistics provided by Bank Negara Malaysia, the national transaction value per capita for e-payments amounts to nearly RM613.6 million last year, up 11.4% from RM550.6 million in 2016. There was no data for the total number of mobile payments made in 2016, but the central bank stated last year that it came to about RM500,000.
4 Blockchain Startups to Keep an Eye On (Coin Announcer) Rated: B
Founded by 21-year-old entrepreneur, Justin Jung, the P2P lending platform is looking to take existing P2P concepts and completely disrupt them by creating a CDO (collateralized debt obligations) market that will allow tranched investments within the platform.
Online small business lender assigned Moody’s ratings (Australian Broker) Rated: AAA
Leading global ratings agency Moody’s has assigned ratings to Prospa’s Australian small business loan asset backed securities (ABS) trust.
This is the first rated ABS issuance backed by unsecured small business loans in the Australasian market. It is also one of the few that have been issued globally and rated by one of the big three credit rating agencies.
A total of $83.25million in debt securities were rated as follows: $64.8m Class A Notes assigned A3; $14.6m Class B Notes assigned Ba2 and $3.7m Class C Notes assigned B3.
How Australia’s fintech SME lenders have learnt from the US (Finder) Rated: AAA
Speaking at the AltFi Australasia Summit 2018, CEO of OnDeck US Noah Breslow discussed how it first launched in the US over a decade ago in 2007. And while it only launched its Australian lending business in 2015, the Australian small business lending market has traversed the same course as the US market in a markedly shorter time.
While the actual alternative small business lending market remains largely unregulated, other initiatives put in place, such as the pursuit of open banking and comprehensive credit reporting (CCR), will have a marked impact on the sector.
In the US, 70% of SMEs perceived there to be more small business lending options than five years ago, but that number is only 30% in Australia.
Online small business lending growing fast (Australian Broker) Rated: A
The online small business lending market in Australia is growing at a faster rate than the US market did at a similar stage of development, the CEO of OnDeck Global has said.
Speaking at the AltFi Australasian Summit in Sydney, CEO Noah Breslow said it could reach more than $2billion in annual originations by 2020.
He said that despite over 6,000 banks offering small business lending options in the US, online lending to small businesses has flourished.
Australians getting short-changed for financial advice, inquiry hears (Rueters) Rated: A
Australia’s four biggest retail banks and wealth manager AMP (AMP.AX) have paid hundreds of millions of dollars in compensation to customers for poor advice over the past decade, a major inquiry into the financial sector heard on Monday.
Financial advice came under scrutiny at the start of a fortnight of hearings by the Royal Commission into corporate wrongdoing and abuse of power by Australia’s financial sector, which could lead to greater regulation and criminal charges.
Namaste Credit raises ₹25 crore (Business Line) Rated: AAA
Namaste Credit, a digital marketplace and technology platform for SME loans, has raised about ₹25 crore ($3.8 million) in a Series A round from Nexus Venture Partners. It will use the money to expand to new markets, improve its technology and data analytics platform and scale the business. The company plans to increase its channel partner programme across India and expand its technology licensing partnerships with leading lenders globally.
Finzy gets ₹8.5-crore funding
Finzy, a peer-to-peer lending platform, has raised about ₹8.5 crore ($1.3 million) in a pre-Series A funding round from industry investors. It hopes to close a second round of fund raising in two months. The company will use the money to speed up growth by investing in technology, making the process leaner and faster, and in building the team. It will also use a large part of the money to expand across Tier-I cities.
Insurance consortium partners Cognizant for data-sharing blockchain (VCCircle) Rated: A
Indian peer-to-peer (P2P) lending startups are considering a private blockchain to facilitate sharing of information as a risk-mitigation strategy, and to identify fraudulent loan applications.
5 Benefits of Online Peer-to-peer Lending That You Didn’t Know (Entrepreneur) Rated: B
- Easier and Faster
- Lower Eligibility Criteria
- Lower Interest charges
- No hidden fees and charges
- No penalty for repaying your loan before stipulated time
Meet FINT, the FinTech Company that wants to change micro-lending in Nigeria (Nairametrics) Rated: AAA
The guys behind FINT
FINT.ng is run by a team of 4; Chiwete John-Njokanma is the company’s Chief Executive Officer, Nnamdi Okeke is the Chief Technology Officer, Eskor Toyo is the Chief Operating Officer while Reva Attah is Chief Strategy Officer.
Who is it for?
The only restriction so far is that everyone who uses the platform must have a bank account that is linked to a BVN. Users can borrow anything between N60,000 and N2 million at rates as low as 8% for 3 – 12 months, which in Nigeria is remarkable because in the current environment, a loan from a formal financial institution with 20% interest would be a good deal.
Personal Loan Products – Are they useful for repaying credit or a bad debt? (The South Africa) Rated: A
If you’re one of these people you might be interested in Wonga’s new personal loans. The personal loan offers a repayment plan lasting up to 6 months, affording customers more flexibility through small monthly repayment instalments.
Robo-advisor seen as a step forward for investors (The Malaysian Reserve) Rated: A
The issuance of robo-advisory licences by the Securities Commission Malaysia (SC) would allow regulators to provide high quality and cheaper investment advice for customers.
Main Street Capital Sdn Bhd CEO Julian Ng said through a robo-advisory licence, regulators are able to reach out to wider ranges of investors where previously only wealthy clients could afford the investment advice.