- Today’s main news: OnDeck becomes profitable. NepFin launches first online commercial lending platform for U.S. market. MoneyLion has 2 million customers. Sequoia China leads $40M DataVisor Series C. Moody’s reviews CommonBond for upgrade.
- Today’s main analysis: Review of OnDeck Q4 2017 earnings results.
- Today’s thought-provoking articles: The Future of Lending. Is investing RateSetter Isa worth it? Genie ICO: The decentralized business loan network on the blockchain. Private equity, venture capital opportunities in India.
- OnDeck swings to profit. AT: “A lot of people have been waiting for this moment.”
- Review of OnDeck’s Q4 2017 results. AT: “Very good breakdown. Excellent charts.”
- OnDeck flips to profitability. AT: “A few more details.”
- OnDeck’s share go up.
- NepFin launches first online commercial lending platform. AT: “This is a huge market with lots of room for growth.”
- LendingClub to sponsor Watermark Conference for Women.
- Top alternative lenders on Forbes’ Fintech 50. AT: “Some of these–Affirm and Kabbage, for instance–are no surprise, but there is at least one surprise on this list.”
- MoneyLion has 2 million customers. AT: “Congratulations.”
- CommonBond under review by Moody’s for rating upgrade. AT: “Congratulations. I think they’ll likely get the upgrade.”
- Dwolla gets $12M injection. AT: “Congrats.”
- Marcus has access to $17B in deposits. AT: “This has to position them well above almost every competing alternative lender, if not all of them.”
- BlockFi nabs $1.55M in funding for cryptoasset ecosystem.
- 5 credit unions sign with Shastic’s text messaging platform for lending operations.
- Data-sharing spec revised to encourage open banking.
- How Alexa makes finance conversational.
- TD Ameritrade intros Twitter trading bot.
- Coinmast offers app-based financial advice.
- Stash secures $37.5M in Series D round.
- My financial advisor is a robot.
- Webster Bank to use robo-advisor developed by LPL Financial, FutureAdvisor.
- Interest doesn’t necessarily lead to robo adoption.
- Cetera enhances advice-centric experience for financial advisors.
- How to find credit union student loans online.
- Is RateSetter’s new Isa worth investing in?
- TruFin raises 70M GBP.
- LendInvest unveils product transition process.
- Lendy returns 2.1M GBP loan repayment.
- Lendy appoints new head of finance.
- Barclays, Triodos, and Citizens Bank. AT: “A Financial Times podcast.”
- RentoMojo rolls out rent-to-own model.
- PE, VC opportunities in the 21st century.
- MoneyOnMobile raises $5M.
- United States
- OnDeck swings to profit, eyes second bank partnership (American Banker), Rated: AAA
- Review of OnDeck Q4 2017 Earnings Results (Lend Academy), Rated: AAA
- OnDeck Flips To Profitability Much To The Market’s Delight (PYMNTS), Rated: A
- Online lender OnDeck’s profit beats on lower costs, shares soar (Reuters), Rated: B
- NepFin Launches First Online Commercial Lending Platform for $1-Trillion U.S. Market (Digital Journal), Rated: AAA
- LendingClub at the Watermark Conference for Women (LendingClub), Rated: A
- Forbes Fintech 50 2018: The Future Of Lending (Forbes), Rated: AAA
- MoneyLion Reaches 2 Million Customer Milestone As Growth Accelerates (BusinessWire), Rated: AAA
- Student lending platform on review for ratings boost (AltFi), Rated: AAA
- Dwolla Lands $ 12 Million (Finovate), Rated: A
- Fortress Balance Sheet: Goldman Sachs’ Online Lender Marcus Has Access to $ 17 Billion in Deposits (Crowdfund Insider), Rated: A
- Secured Lender BlockFi Secures $ 1.55M Funding to Build Cryptoasset Ecosystem (Crowdfund Insider), Rated: A
- Five credit unions sign with new text messaging platform in January to enhance lending and operations (CUInsights), Rated: A
- Data-sharing spec revised to encourage open banking (American Banker), Rated: A
- What We Talk About When We Talk About Finances (With Alexa) (PYMNTS), Rated: A
- In play for customer data, TD Ameritrade rolls out Twitter trading bot (Tearsheet), Rated: B
- Millennial entrepreneur strives to provide affordable financial advice to all (NewsOK), Rated: A
- Robo advice app Stash raises $37.5m Series D, releases investing for kids (AltFi), Rated: A
- My Financial Advisor is a Robot (Direct Industry), Rated: A
- LPL rolls out robo-adviser to regional bank (InvesmentNews), Rated: A
- Interest Doesn’t Always Bring Adoption of Robo-Adviser Tech (PlanAdviser), Rated: A
- Cetera Financial Group Enhance Delivery of Advice-Centric Experience for Financial Advisors, Clients (PR Newswire), Rated: B
- Looking for Credit Union Student Loans? Here’s How to Find and Apply for Them (Student Loan Hero), Rated: B
- United Kingdom
- New Isa from RateSetter offers 6% return: is it worth investing? (Which?), Rated: AAA
- Fintech group TruFin raises £70m (Finextra), Rated: A
- LendInvest unveils product transition process (BestAdvice), Rated: A
- Lendy returns £2.1m loan repayment from luxury property in Chelsea (Mortgage Introducer), Rated: A
- Lendy appoints new head of finance (Bridging&Commercial), Rated: B
- Sequoia China leads $ 40M DataVisor Series C (Bankless Times), Rated: AAA
- European Union
- Swedish Online Payments Company Klarna Shuts Down Tel Aviv Development Center (CTech), Rated: AAA
- Banco BNI Europa to invest with CrossLend (Finextra), Rated: A
- Barclays faces new charge, Triodos innovates and outlook for Citizens Bank in the US (Financial Times), Rated: A
- DirectMoney Secures New Strategic Investment From Alceon For Growth & Innovation Initiatives (Crowdfund Insider), Rated: AAA
- Why just rent when RentoMojo also gives you the option of renting and owning (YourStory), Rated: AAA
- PE AND VC OPPORTUNITIES IN 21ST CENTURY INDIA (AllAboutAlpha), Rated: AAA
- MoneyOnMobile Raises $ 5 Mn Funding From S7 Group (Inc42), Rated: A
- Genie ICO: A Blockchain Network For Decentralized Business Loans (Global Coin Report), Rated: AAA
OnDeck swings to profit, eyes second bank partnership (American Banker), Rated: AAA
The New York-based small-business lender recorded net income of $5.1 million in the quarter that ended Dec. 31, which compared with a $35.9 million loss in the fourth quarter of 2016.
OnDeck, which has recorded $94.5 million losses over the last two years, is cutting costs in an effort to achieve profitability.
Review of OnDeck Q4 2017 Earnings Results (Lend Academy), Rated: AAA
In the fourth quarter they generated $5 million of GAAP profit. To put this in perspective, this is $41 million better than the prior year period. This puts them on solid footing as they look towards priorities for 2018. Originations for the quarter were $546 million, up 3% from the prior quarter.
Gross revenue came in at $87.7 million, up 7% year over year. Gain on sale revenue or revenue from loans sold on OnDeck’s marketplace to investors totaled $0.6 million. Other income totaled $3.5 million, up slightly from $3.4 million in the previous quarter.
Full Year 2018
- Gross revenue between $370 million and $382 million.
- GAAP Net income (loss) attributable to OnDeck between $(2) million and $10 million.
- Adjusted Net income between $16 million and $28 million.
First Quarter 2018
- Gross revenue between $86 million and $90 million.
- GAAP Net income (loss) attributable to OnDeck between $(5.5) million and $(1.5) million.
- Adjusted Net income between $1 million and $5 million.
OnDeck Flips To Profitability Much To The Market’s Delight (PYMNTS), Rated: A
Originations were up 3 percent over the previous quarter to $546 million.
Loans sold or designated as held for sale through OnDeck Marketplace represented 3.9 percent of term loan originations. Provision for loan losses was $34.4 million and the Provision Rate was 6.4 percent, down from Q3’s 7.5 percent.
Gross revenue increased to $87.7 million, up 7 percent year-over-year, while net revenue was $42.1 million, up 159 percent year-on-year.
The cost of funds rate was 6.5 percent, which was a slight increase over Q3. OnDeck noted that figure will likely continue to tick up during 2018, as the Fed is forecast to keep raising short-term interest rates.
Online lender OnDeck’s profit beats on lower costs, shares soar (Reuters), Rated: B
Shares of OnDeck Capital Inc (ONDK.N) soared on Tuesday after the online lender reported better-than-expected quarterly profit as it set aside less money for bad loans, and managed to keep costs lower.
NepFin Launches First Online Commercial Lending Platform for -Trillion U.S. Market (Digital Journal), Rated: AAA
Neptune Financial Inc., or NepFin, a financial services firm, announced today that it has launched the first online commercial lending platform for mid-sized U.S. businesses, creating a new source of credit as well as business software solutions for a large, thriving sector of the economy whose borrowing options are limited.
NepFin also announced that it has raised a $10-million Series A round led by Sands Capital Ventures with participation from its existing investors. Michael Raab, Partner at Sands Capital, will join NepFin’s board, which already includes Third Point’s David Bonanno, currently a board member of SoFi, as well as Robert Schwartz, Managing Partner at Third Point Ventures. This round brings NepFin’s total capital raised to $13 million.
NepFin, whose platform has digital solutions built from the team’s years of experience in online lending and traditional finance, says that its focus is on one of the most underserved sectors of the broader U.S. economy – businesses with between $10 million and $100 million in revenue. NepFin provides loans of up to $60 million.
LendingClub at the Watermark Conference for Women (LendingClub), Rated: A
LendingClub is excited and proud to be a sponsor of the Watermark Conference for Women being held on February 23rd in San Jose, California. As part of the agenda, two of our Client Advisors from the Business Loans team, Mana and Somie, will be leading roundtable discussions with women entrepreneurs on the core elements to consider when exploring small business financing options.
Forbes Fintech 50 2018: The Future Of Lending (Forbes), Rated: AAA
Affirm, San Francisco
Makes instant three, six and 12 month loans for purchases from 1,500 online merchants. A handful of sellers subsidize 0% rates, but most loans carry annual interest rates of 10% to 30%.
Bona fides: More than 1 million loans issued. Partners include Wayfair and Expedia.
Digital-only mortgage originator estimates the loan an applicant qualifies for within three minutes using stated income and a credit score check.
Bona fides: Fannie Mae and five of nation’s six largest banks buy its loans.
Speeds up the mortgage approval process at the nation’s largest lenders with its cloud based white label software.
Bona fides: Wells Fargo and U.S. Bancorp are already onboard
Online lender refinances and finances undergraduate and graduate student loans.
Bona fides: CommonBond has made $1.5 billion in loans, but says just two have gone into default.
Provides on-the-spot financing for home improvement projects (with loans up to $65,000) via a network of contractors and bank partners — without itself taking on the risk of defaults. Most borrowers don’t pay a dime in interest thanks to zero-interest promotional periods that last from 6 to 60 months. Recently began offering financing at doctor, dentist and veterinary offices.
Bona fides: Has facilitated over $10 billion in loans
Lending platform offers nearly instantaneous small business loans. Uses creative alternative data to underwrite loans–such as the number of UPS packages a business sends and receives over time.
Bona fides: Over $4 billion in originations to 130,000 small businesses
Four year-old online lender started out providing bridge loans to fix and flip housing investors, a historically underserved segment. With original product now available in 25 states, LendingHome has expanded into personal mortgages in 14.
Bona fides: $2 billion in loans made; 10,000 homes financed
Approves developing-world borrowers who lack a credit history for micro-loans of between $10 and $500 by crunching 10,000 data points—from financial transactions to mobile games played—from an applicant’s smartphone.
Bona fides: Has made more than 4.5 million loans, with a repayment rate above 90%.
Upstart, San Carlos, CA
Uses alternative data such as education, employment history and whether applicants know their own credit score to underwrite and price loans. After five years of training its algorithms, it now approves 47% of loans without human intervention and with some of the lowest default rates in the industry.
Bona fides: $1.5 billion in loans originated to 120,000 borrowers
MoneyLion Reaches 2 Million Customer Milestone As Growth Accelerates (BusinessWire), Rated: AAA
MoneyLion, the digital personal finance platform for the financial middle class, today announced that it now empowers over 2 million customers to better their borrowing, saving and investing through personalized, AI-driven solutions. The growth of MoneyLion’s community is a reflection of the positive financial outcomes its customers have achieved and the platform’s unique approach to money management for everyday Americans.
The momentum behind MoneyLion’s customer growth follows a number of recent milestones for the company, including:
- The December launch of MoneyLion Plus, a first-of-its-kind membership that combines guided savings, simple investing, access to low-cost loans, and personalized daily financial tips to help consumers build their credit, financial resilience, and first $2,000 in savings. MoneyLion Plus has democratized access to private banking-like services typically reserved for high net worth consumers, providing an opportunity for first-time investors to begin building wealth.
- Completion of a successful $42 million Series B equity round in January, bringing MoneyLion’s total funds raised to $67 million. This financing accelerates MoneyLion’s continued development of innovative, inclusive financial products and services for America’s financial middle class.
Student lending platform on review for ratings boost (AltFi), Rated: AAA
Moody’s puts six tranches issued by CommonBond on review for upgrade.
Moody’s Investor Services has placed six tranches issued by CommonBond Student Loan Trust 2016-B, 2017-A-GS and 2017-B-GS on review for upgrade. The tranches are comprised of loans to students, and $488m of asset backed securities are affected by the review.
Dwolla Lands $ 12 Million (Finovate), Rated: A
In a short, three-sentence blog post, Dwolla CEO Ben Milne announced that the company closed a $12 million round of funding. The investment, which brings the Iowa-based company’s total to $51.4 million, was led by Foundry Group with participation from Union Square Ventures, Next Level Ventures, Ludlow Ventures, High Alpha, and Firebrand– all existing investors.
Fortress Balance Sheet: Goldman Sachs’ Online Lender Marcus Has Access to $ 17 Billion in Deposits (Crowdfund Insider), Rated: A
But today, Blankfein shared that Marcus now has access to over $17 billion in deposits representing a huge amount of credit firepower at an unbeatable cost to lend.
In a savvy move, Goldman acquired GE Capital’s retail deposits prior to launching Marcus. Since the acquisition, these deposits have grown an impressive 90%.
Secured Lender BlockFi Secures $ 1.55M Funding to Build Cryptoasset Ecosystem (Crowdfund Insider), Rated: A
BlockFi, a New York-based non-bank lender that offers USD loans to cryptoasset owners, announced a $1.55 million raise from ConsenSys Ventures, Kenetic Capital, PJC, SoFi, Purple Arch Ventures and Lumenary. The new capital injection will be used to bridge the gap between traditional debt capital markets and the cryptoasset ecosystem.
Five credit unions sign with new text messaging platform in January to enhance lending and operations (CUInsights), Rated: A
Shastic, a SaaS company specializing in banking-specific technology services, has signed on five new customers in the first month of 2018. The recent growth follows the fintech company’s early launch of Elle, the conversational text messaging platform built for credit unions. Elle is an expansion of their automation services to deliver efficient, real-time message communication between a credit unions and their members.
What We Talk About When We Talk About Finances (With Alexa) (PYMNTS), Rated: A
As anyone who has used an Alexa skill might know, the movement toward conversational finance, or financial conversations, is a tricky one, as specific instructions or questions (okay, they are commands, really) have traditionally been needed to spur the assistant to retrieve information.
In play for customer data, TD Ameritrade rolls out Twitter trading bot (Tearsheet), Rated: B
The brokerage firm released a Twitter bot Thursday, allowing stock investors to execute trades, get market updates and browse educational content through direct messages. For the brokerage, encouraging traders who use Twitter to transact will give it, the hope is, a rich source of user data to offer personalized customer experiences and product recommendations.
How to go about repairing your credit, reducing your student loan debt or obtaining the best mortgage loan now is available to you through a locally produced app.
The answers are among the widespread financial advice available to consumers nationwide through a new app called Coinmast launched by an Oklahoma City-based millennial entrepreneur.
At $11 a call, the tech startup offers such help from certified financial counselors, certified financial planners and certified public accountants whom Haller contracts nationwide. Experts, he said, offer advice on almost anything, excluding on individual securities, insurance and taxes.
Robo advice app Stash raises .5m Series D, releases investing for kids (AltFi), Rated: A
US-based micro investments app Stash has announced a $37.5m raise in Series D funding, led by Union Square Ventures. Existing investors Breyer Capital, Coatue Management, Entree Capital, as well as fintech familiars Goodwater Capital and Valar Ventures, also joined in on the round.
My Financial Advisor is a Robot (Direct Industry), Rated: A
Fintech company Moneyfarm uses cutting-edge technology as well as human financial expertise to help make investing simple, easy and cost-effective. The company also invests in artificial intelligence and machine learning and recently bought AI-driven chatbot Ernest.
DirectIndustry e-magazine: What is the technology behind it?
Paolo Galvani: We use technology to match investors with investment portfolios that are specifically built for their investor profiles. Each new customer completes a survey during the sign-up process. The algorithms we have developed in-house match each investor to an investor profile that reflects their tolerance for risk. Investors are then paired with a portfoliothat is specifically built and managed by our team of investment experts to reflect the customer’s investor profile.
LPL rolls out robo-adviser to regional bank (InvesmentNews), Rated: A
Webster Bank, a $26.4 billion financial institution with branches in Connecticut, Rhode Island, Massachusetts and New York, announced that it would start offering access to Guided Wealth Portfolios, a digital advice platform developed by LPL Financial and BlackRock Inc.‘s FutureAdvisor.
Interest Doesn’t Always Bring Adoption of Robo-Adviser Tech (PlanAdviser), Rated: A
A new report published by Cerulli Associates examines the growth trajectory of the digital financial advice market that has occurred since 2015, finding there remains a clear inverse relationship between an investor’s age and their willingness to engage with purely digital financial advice platforms.
Scott Smith, director at Cerulli, notes that as of the third quarter of 2017, there is “greater openness to digital advice relationships, but a strongly negative correlation between age and interest remains.”
Cetera Financial Group Enhance Delivery of Advice-Centric Experience for Financial Advisors, Clients (PR Newswire), Rated: B
Cetera Financial Group (“Cetera”)*, a network of independent firms supporting the delivery of professional financial advice, today announced that the six firms comprising its network will be organized under its newly-created Traditional and Specialty Channels. The formation of these two channels is expected to accelerate the ability of each network firm to support Cetera’s Advice-Centric Experience for advisors and clients, which envisions a financial advice profession driven by goals-based planning and solutions that help clients achieve more predictable outcomes on their journey to financial well-being.
Looking for Credit Union Student Loans? Here’s How to Find and Apply for Them (Student Loan Hero), Rated: B
MyCreditUnion.gov provides a map that makes it easy to locate credit unions in your area. Input your address to find a list of credit unions, directions to each location, and available member services. You can then contact local credit unions to find out about membership requirements and student loan options.
One of the best ways to research your options is to use LendKey. LendKey offers easy access to hundreds of different credit unions and community banks that provide private student loans.
You have the option of applying directly through a credit union that allows people to join from anywhere in the United States. Some examples of credit unions open to individuals nationwide include Alliant Credit Union, Digital Federal Credit Union, and First Tech Federal Credit Union.
New Isa from RateSetter offers 6% return: is it worth investing? (Which?), Rated: AAA
With the new product form RateSetter, you could earn 3-6% interest on your investment, depending on how long you lock your money away.
RateSetter’s Innovative finance Isa allows you to invest up to £20,000 in a tax year.
It is a flexible Isa product, meaning you can withdraw money and replace it without using up your £20,000 tax-free savings allowance.
Say, for example, you put £10,000 into your innovative finance Isa and then withdrew £5,000. Under the rules, you could still deposit £15,000 without incurring tax.
The shortest duration investment rolls over monthly with an interest rate of 3.1%. The longest is a five-year investment, which currently has an interest rate of 5.8%.
|Money goes to…||Minimum investment||Projected rate|
|Abundance||Green energy projects||£5||6-9% over lifetime of investment (3-5 years)|
|Advancr||Public and private businesses||£1,000||5-6% depending on length of bond|
|Basset & Gold||Fixed income bonds||£1,000||3-7% depending on product|
|CapitalRise||Property development projects||£1,000||10% or more depending on the project|
|Crowd for Angels||Crowd bonds funding small businesses||£25, but companies can increase that||12%|
|Crowdstacker||Businesses||£500, but set by borrowers||5-7%|
|Downing Crowd||Fixed-term bonds for small businesses||£100||4-7%|
|Folk2Folk||Asset-backed loans to small, mostly rural businesses||£20,000||5.5-6.5% depending on product|
|Funding Circle*||Businesses||£1,000||4.8-7.5% depending on selected risk level|
|FundingSecure||Asset-backed sub-prime loans to individuals||£25||Up to 16%|
|Goji P2P||Consumer, business and property loans||£5,000||5%|
|HNW Lending||Asset-backed loans to individuals and businesses||£10,000||6-15% depending on term and risk|
|LandlordInvest||Asset-backed loans to landlords||£100||5-12%|
|Lending Works||Individuals||£10||3-5% depending on term|
|Mongoose Crowd||Community energy projects||£100-200, but can vary by project||4-7%|
|Property Crowd||Commercial and residential developments||£5,000||10%|
|Proplend||Property of varying types||£1,000||5-12%|
|Ratesetter||Businesses, individuals and property developers||£10||3-6% depending on product|
|Rebuildingsociety||Small and medium-sized businesses||£10||9.7%|
|Relendex||Commercial and residential property loans||£500||10%|
|UK Bond Network||Businesses||£5,000||11%|
Fintech group TruFin raises £70m (Finextra), Rated: A
TruFin, a British fintech and banking business with fingers in various niche lending pies, has raised £70 million through a listing on the LSE’s AIM market.
LendInvest unveils product transition process (BestAdvice), Rated: A
The Product Transition process allows existing borrowers to transfer between specialised loans that are tailored to support them at each stage in their development project.
Lendy returns £2.1m loan repayment from luxury property in Chelsea (Mortgage Introducer), Rated: A
Peer-to-peer lending platform Lendy returned a £2.1m loan repayment to P2P investors from a luxury apartment in Chelsea, on an investment made through Lendy.
Lendy appoints new head of finance (Bridging&Commercial), Rated: B
Andrew Wawrzyniak has joined the peer-to-peer lending platform from Fund Partners, a fund manager whose clients include Octopus Investments, Pictet Asset Management and Russell Investments.
Sequoia China leads $ 40M DataVisor Series C (Bankless Times), Rated: AAA
DataVisor, a provider of fraud detection solutions using unsupervised machine learning, today announced a $40 million Series C round of financing led by Sequoia China, with participation from existing investors New Enterprise Associates and GSR Ventures.
Rock Wang, managing director at Sequoia China, will join DataVisor’s board of directors. With this new round of financing, DataVisor will expand its global footprint in the fraud detection and prevention market, which is estimated to reach $41.6 billion by year 2022 according to research firm MarketsandMarkets.
Swedish Online Payments Company Klarna Shuts Down Tel Aviv Development Center (CTech), Rated: AAA
Swedish online payments company Klarna Bank AB (publ) will be shutting down its Tel Aviv development center during the next few months, the company announced Tuesday. All 31 of its employees in Tel Aviv were offered the opportunity to remain with the company and relocate to one of its Swedish or German offices.
Banco BNI Europa to invest with CrossLend (Finextra), Rated: A
Banco BNI Europa and CrossLend have launched a cooperation whereby Banco BNI Europa invests into notes issued by CrossLend Securities SA.
Barclays faces new charge, Triodos innovates and outlook for Citizens Bank in the US (Financial Times), Rated: A
Martin Arnold and guests discuss the latest charges against Barclays, Bevis Watts of the ethically-focused bank Triodos talks about his new UK peer-to-peer lending model and Bruce van Saun explains what US rate rises will mean for Citizens Bank.
DirectMoney Secures New Strategic Investment From Alceon For Growth & Innovation Initiatives (Crowdfund Insider), Rated: AAA
Australian marketplace lending platform DirectMoney announced on Tuesday it secured a strategic investment from alternative investment manager Alceon to fund growth and innovation initiatives.
According to DirectMoney, the investment will be structured through an initial placement of $600,000 at $0.042 per share (being 14,285,715 new shares), a 56% premium to the price at close of trading on February 9th and equivalent to a 3.1% shareholding.
Why just rent when RentoMojo also gives you the option of renting and owning (YourStory), Rated: AAA
Online rental and financing marketplace RentoMojo, which lets consumers in eight cities lease furniture, two-wheelers and home appliances, has launched an additional rent-to-own model.
PE AND VC OPPORTUNITIES IN 21ST CENTURY INDIA (AllAboutAlpha), Rated: AAA
ARA Law, a firm based in Mumbai and Bangalore, India, has issued a paper on private equity and venture capital in that country.
The main text of the paper begins with sectoral analysis and market behavior. PE and VC investments in India declined in the early months of 2017, but they had started to pick up already before the end of the first quarter and in the third quarter investments by such vehicles “surprised the market with a tremendous jump in deal volume as well as value.”
In August of that year the deal value reached US$5 billion. The third quarter as a whole saw 129 deals of value greater than US$100 million, aggregating to about US$7 billion.
The most lucrative sector last year was e-Commerce, “in spite of the sharp fall in investments by the end of AY 2016,” followed by real estate. In the 3d quarter, e-Commerce recorded roughly US$2.6 billion in deals across 18 deals. Real estate? US$2.3 billion across 13 deals. Banking and Financial Services? Third place in the league table with US $1.4 billion across 25 deals.
MoneyOnMobile Raises $ 5 Mn Funding From S7 Group (Inc42), Rated: A
Mumbai-based fintech startup MoneyOnMobile has raised $5 Mn in Series H funding from Russia-based private aviation and aerospace holding company S7 Group. The development comes just two weeks after the startup secured $7.6 Mn Series F funding from undisclosed investors.
Genie ICO: A Blockchain Network For Decentralized Business Loans (Global Coin Report), Rated: AAA
Genie was created to provide individuals based in Asia with a unique way to borrow and lend money for their business using a peer-to-peer system that is based on a blockchain network. The Genie ICO has been created by an experienced team after observing the rapidly changing Asian financial landscape ever since cryptocurrencies, ICOs, and blockchain technology grew to prominence in 2017.
The platform will also have its very own token Crowd Genie Coin (CGC) which will be generated via an ICO. There will be a limited supply of 120,000,000 tokens available. Of this amount, only 50 million will be available for purchase during the token sale. The rest of the tokens will be used for facilitating transactions on the platform, will be given to the founders, used for distribution, etc. All tokens that are not bought during the token sale, however, will be destroyed to increase the value of a single CGC.
The Genie team hopes to raise a total of $35,000,000 throughout the ICO and the value of 400 CGC tokens has been estimated to be of equal value of 1 ether, which at the time of writing equates to $858. This means that a single CGC is worth $2.15. However, the interested investor can invest a minimum of 0.1, which will attract a wide variety of investors.