- Today’s main news: SoFi aims for 12 ABS deals in 2017. Funding Circle’s business boomed after Brexit. Dianrong acquires Quark Finance asset-origination operations. Mambu recognized as European growth excellence leader. Santander invests in three fintechs.
- Today’s main analysis: Europe’s alt finance market hits $9.1B in Q1.
- Today’s thought-provoking articles: How non-prime millennials struggle. Top 40 payments trailblazers.
- SoFi shoots for 12 ABS deals in 2017. AT: “This is a great goal. With eight out of the way, they should have no problem hitting it.”
- How non-prime millennials struggle and worry about money. AT: “Non-primes have a lot more to worry about. For one thing, their debt-to-income ratio is through the roof. If your business is targeting non-prime millennials, there is a lot of opportunity here for business, but the risks are high. A more conservative business would focus on the prime market where you’re less likely to see defaults.”
- Invesco co-launches robo-advice platform for financial advisors.
- Funding Circle names U.S. chief compliance officer.
- Sindeo is back in business after being acquired by Renren. AT: “This is a good thing both for Sindeo and Renren. Many analysts have predicted that 2017 and 2018 will be years registering high on consolidation. It looks like it’s shaping up that way, and one of the reasons why is because big players are coming to the rescue of smaller firms in trouble.”
- Ex-Merrill Lynch financial advisors go indie with $1B.
- Treasury looking at revamping Community Reinvestment Act. AT: “It probably needs revamping.”
- Moinian Capital Partners gets into real estate lending.
- Coinsource launches five bitcoin ATMs in Arizona.
- CrediFi enables real-time streaming of real estate deals into Salesforce.
- Thales provides data encryption solution for Beyond Platform.
- Ephesoft raises $15M in Series A.
- Why Chicago is the best city for fintech startups.
- AlphaFlow launches eBook on tax implications of crowdfunding.
- Ballard Spahr closes San Diego office.
- Funding Circle business boomed after Brexit, says CEO.
- ThinCats partners with Alderburn Finance.
- Navigating the complex direct lending market.
- Dianrong acquires Quark Finance asset-origination operations.
- It will take more time for China Rapid Finance to profit.
- Mambu recognized as European growth excellence leader by Frost & Sullivan. AT: “Congratulations.”
- Santander buys stake in three fintech companies.
- Europe’s alt finance market hits $9.1B in Q1 2017. AT: “Not quite as high as Q3 2014 in number of deals. Europe is shaping up to be a hot alternative finance sector.”
- ECN reminder to complete cross-border crowdfunding survey.
- Paycock enters Russia with mobile payment service.
- iwoca partners with Intesa Sanpaolo bank.
- Good Methods Global acqui-hires Save Your Money.
- What is LoanAdda doing to make a profit?
- Why Indians should invest in P2P lending.
- Singapore, Thailand central banks partner on fintech.
- Vertex Ventures invests $2M in Turnkey Lender.
- Bank Mandiri invests in Cashlez.
- United States
- SoFi preps new deal, aims for 12 in 2017 (Global Capital), Rated: AAA
- Money Management by Non-Prime Millennials: How They Struggle and Worry More Than Their Peers (BusinessWire), Rated: AAA
- Invesco co-launches robo-advice platform for financial advisers (AltFi), Rated: A
- Funding Circle Names New Chief Compliance Officer for US (Corporate Counsel), Rated: A
- Sindeo is back in the mortgage business after acquisition (Inman), Rated: A
- Ex-Merrill Lynch FAs with $ 1B in Assets Go Indie (Financial Advisor IQ), Rated: A
- Treasury quietly looking at revamping CRA (American Banker), Rated: A
- Backed by Israeli Bond Funds, Moinian Capital Partners Rides the Nonbank Lending Wave (Commercial Observer), Rated: A
- Coinsource Launches Five Bitcoin ATMs in Phoenix (Crowdfund Insider), Rated: A
- CrediFi enables real time streaming of real estate deal and client data directly into Salesforce (PR Newswire), Rated: A
- Thales provides database encryption solution for Beyond Platform’s peer-to-peer lending service (PR Newswire), Rated: A
- EPHESOFT SECURES $ 15M SERIES A FUNDING FROM MERCATO PARTNERS (Ephesoft), Rated: A
- Why Chicago is the best city to launch a fintech company (Crain’s Chicago Business), Rated: A
- AlphaFlow Launches “Tax Implications of Crowdfunding” eBook (Benzinga), Rated: B
- Ballard Spahr closes San Diego office (Bloomberg Law), Rated: B
- United Kingdom
- Funding Circle CEO Says Business Boomed After Brexit (Bloomberg), Rated: AAA
- ThinCats teams up with Alderburn Finance to fund Scottish marine trainer (P2P Finance News), Rated: A
- Navigating a complex market (P2P Finance News), Rated: A
- Dianrong Acquires Asset-Origination Operations of Quark Finance (PR Newswire), Rated: AAA
- Wang Zhengyu: It will take more time to make profit for China Rapid Finance (Xing Ping She), Rated: A
- European Union
- MAMBU RECOGNISED AS EUROPEAN GROWTH EXCELLENCE LEADER (Financial IT), Rated: AAA
- Santander Buys Stakes in Three Startups as Botin Pushes Into Fintech (Bloomberg), Rated: AAA
- Europe’s alternative finance market hits $ 9.1 billion in first quarter (Consultancy.uk), Rated: AAA
- ECN Reminder to Complete Cross Border Crowdfunding Survey (Crowddfund Insider), Rated: A
- Paycock Enters Russian Fintech Market with Its Convenient Mobile Payment Service (MarketWatch), Rated: A
- Fintech lender strikes partnership with major Italian bank (AltFi), Rated: A
- Top 40 Payments Functions Trailblazers (Everest Group), Rated: AAA
- Why a majority of Australians don’t know about peer-to-peer lending (news.com.au), Rated: A
- Accel-backed Good Methods Global acqui-hires fintech startup Save Your Money (VC Circle), Rated: AAA
- What is LoanAdda doing to make itself profitable in a crowded market? (Your Story), Rated: A
- Why Indians Should Invest in Peer-to-Peer Lending (BW Disrupt), Rated: B
- Singapore and Thailand Central Banks Unite in FinTech Deal (Cryptocoins News), Rated: AAA
- Vertex Ventures invests $ 2m in Turnkey Lender (Deal Street Asia), Rated: AAA
- Bank Mandiri invests in cashless payment startup (Nikkei Asian Review), Rated: A
- John D. Orr, Senior Banker and Investor, Joins FutureVault as Chief Executive Officer and a Significant Investor (PR Newswire), Rated: A
SoFi preps new deal, aims for 12 in 2017 (Global Capital), Rated: AAA
Online lender SoFi is on track to sell its eighth ABS this month and is said to be looking to bring as many as 12 deals through year end across student loan refinancing and consumer loan platforms.
Money Management by Non-Prime Millennials: How They Struggle and Worry More Than Their Peers (BusinessWire), Rated: AAA
Young people have always struggled with money, but for non-prime Millennials today, managing their personal finances is especially hard, according to the final two studies in a series of Millennial-focused reports by Elevate’s Center for the New Middle Class.
According to the research, 58 percent of non-prime Millennials – those with credit scores below 700 – find themselves living paycheck-to-paycheck and 41 percent run out of money every other month, or more often.
Additional key findings include:
- 13 percent of non-prime Millennials admit that it is difficult to predict their month-to-month income
- 13 percent regularly overdraft their savings or checking accounts
- 64 percent say that they have too much debt right now, twice as likely as prime
- Only 37 percent of non-prime Millennials express any confidence that they could come up with $1,200 for an emergency expense in a month
- Non-prime Millennials are 71 percent less likely to turn to credit cards if they needed to come up with $1,200, compared to their prime counterparts
- Are more likely to experience unexpected car repairs or non-routine medical expenses
- Are 45 percent less likely than prime Millennials to maintain a monthly budget
- Are 58 percent less likely than prime Millennials to put aside money for savings
Invesco co-launches robo-advice platform for financial advisers (AltFi), Rated: A
The U.S. platform will provide a digital space for financial advisers to open new accounts.
Investment management giant Invesco is continuing its foray into digital wealth management.
The company is co-launching a U.S.-based platform for financial advisers through its wealth management solution company, Jemsteps. The site is for financial advisors affiliated with Advisor Group, an American network of independent financial advisory firms.
Funding Circle Names New Chief Compliance Officer for US (Corporate Counsel), Rated: A
Funding Circle Ltd. has named Richard Stephenson as its U.S. chief compliance officer. He joins the San Francisco-based small business lending platform after working in financial services for three decades, most recently as the CCO of Silicon Valley Bank.
Stephenson has also held various senior roles with financial institutions and in private practice, including at Bank of America, Union Bank, Washington Mutual Bank and Mechanics Bank.
For a fintech company, particularly one that partakes in lending, Hodges said it has been important to prioritize compliance, given all of the uncertainties in the regulatory space.
Sindeo is back in the mortgage business after acquisition (Inman), Rated: A
“Renren, one of Sindeo’s investors, has acquired Sindeo and all of its assets,” Nick Stamos, one of Sindeo’s co-founders, told Inman in a statement. “We are excited to work closely with the Renren team to execute on our original mission of offering homebuyers a straightforward path to home ownership and refinancing.” He did not disclose the terms or the sum of the acquisition.
Ex-Merrill Lynch FAs with $ 1B in Assets Go Indie (Financial Advisor IQ), Rated: A
A team of Merrill Lynch financial advisors has jumped ship to launch a new independent wealth management practice, according to a press release from Dynasty Financial Partners, with whom the team has partnered.
Celenza, who’s been an advisor for close to 20 years and with Merrill Lynch for six of them, says the decision to go independent was prompted in part by the ability to access “a greatly expanded selection of investment capabilities, lending platforms, sophisticated insurance products, planning resources, capital market solutions, and alternative manager opportunities.”
Treasury quietly looking at revamping CRA (American Banker), Rated: A
The Treasury Department is embarking on an effort to revise the implementation of the Community Reinvestment Act, a law many community groups say is out of step with modern banking practices and that institutions say has devolved into a compliance exercise.
Tucked away in Treasury Department’s regulatory reform report released last month was a nascent effort to reform the way regulators implement the CRA — a law intended to compel banks to offer loans and financial services to low- and moderate-income areas.
Backed by Israeli Bond Funds, Moinian Capital Partners Rides the Nonbank Lending Wave (Commercial Observer), Rated: A
When the Moinian Group tapped Morgan Stanley and UBS alumnus Jonathan Chassin to lead its newly formed real estate lending platform, Moinian Capital Partners, in February, it was a testament to the Joseph Moinian-led firm’s ambitions to become the latest developer to expand its business into the realm of financing.
Thus far, Moinian Capital Partners has sought to focus its energies on “smaller, $50 million to $100 million development deals where we can quote the whole loan,” Chassin said—the sorts of projects that often have greater difficulty securing funds from more established debt lenders.
The operation is also finding success in the market for mezzanine debt, where its flexibility as a nonbank means it can provide “additional terms that other lenders don’t,” Chassin said. “Where banks and traditional mezz funds are doing five-year deals as a rule, we can quote six- or seven-[year terms]. We can do bridge deals because we understand the basis and understand the market.”
Coinsource Launches Five Bitcoin ATMs in Phoenix (Crowdfund Insider), Rated: A
Coinsource, a bitcoin ATM network, announced on Monday it launched five new machines in Phoenix Metropolitan Area, marking its first venture into Arizona. According to the company, the bulk installation caps off a strong first and second quarter, with it installing 50 machines so far this year, now with a portfolio of 116 machines across 10 states. The five new Bitcoin ATMs have been installed in Phoenix, Peoria, and Mesa.
CrediFi enables real time streaming of real estate deal and client data directly into Salesforce (PR Newswire), Rated: A
CrediFi Corp., the market intelligence and deal discovery engine for commercial real estate (CRE) finance, has announced the launch of a new solution that seamlessly streams CrediFi data into the Salesforce® CRM platform with the click of a button.
CrediFi simplifies the work of CRE dealmakers by serving as the one-stop-shop for data and analytics on commercial properties and loans as well as CRE owners and lenders. Now, CrediFi enables users to sync its vast repository of CRE data seamlessly and directly into Salesforce.
The launch of CrediFi for Salesforce® follows the April launch of CredifX, an online marketplace for CRE financing, and CrediFi recently secured $13 million for its Series B funding. Michael Helpern has joined CrediFi’s team as Head of Strategy, and will oversee further innovation of solutions for this market. Mr. Helpern brings with him over a decade of experience in commercial real estate brokerage, at firms including Marcus & Millichap and CBRE.
Thales provides database encryption solution for Beyond Platform’s peer-to-peer lending service (PR Newswire), Rated: A
Thales announces internet-based financial services technology company Beyond Platform has adopted Vormetric Transparent Encryption from Thales to deliver a secure credit evaluation model for its peer-to-peer (P2P) lending platform.
Beyond Platform wanted to implement a data security system that offered a security level required by the major banks in order to comply with the Personal Information Protection Act (PIPA) in South Korea. In addition, the solution needed to pass a security review by NongHyup Bank (an agricultural and retail bank in South Korea) with whom Beyond Platform was developing a joint P2P lending service. Beyond Platform adopted Vormetric Transparent Encryption from Thales to encrypt structured and unstructured data in an enterprise system. As a result, it met the database encryption requirements and passed the bank security review, opening the floodgate for developing and launching P2P services. In addition, the company has built a reputation among customers as a reliable and safe P2P provider.
Vormetric Transparent Encryption is a kernel-level encryption solution that encrypts all file types including logs and images as well as database data, so there is no need for enterprises to purchase a separate encryption solution for database encryption and unstructured data encryption.
EPHESOFT SECURES $ 15M SERIES A FUNDING FROM MERCATO PARTNERS (Ephesoft), Rated: A
Ephesoft Inc., the developer of document capture and analytics solutions that extract meaning from unstructured content, today announced that it has completed a $15 million Series A financing round. Mercato Partners, a trusted growth capital partner, is the exclusive investor in this round. The investment will be used to accelerate Ephesoft’s product development while expanding operations, market presence and sales channels. Joe Kaiser of Mercato Partners will join the Ephesoft Board of Directors as part of the investment.
Founded in 2010, Ephesoft has developed advanced machine learning solutions that capture, extract and analyze unstructured content. The company has over 500 customers globally ranging from financial services, Federal government, insurance, mortgage and healthcare sectors.
Why Chicago is the best city to launch a fintech company (Crain’s Chicago Business), Rated: A
Chicago was recently ranked among the top five global fintech hubs by Deloitte and the Global FinTech Hubs Federation, thanks in part to FinTEx Chicago’s strong advocacy. Further, fintech and financial services companies even account for 14 percent of the 50 fastest-growing companies in the region, according to Crain’s 2017 Fast 50.
And most important, the financial sector is driving real job growth in the city. The U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics reported that as of March, year-over-year employment in Chicago’s financial sector grew 3.6 percent—more than double gains in the next-highest industry. That also trounces growth of 2.2 percent in the financial sector nationally.
AlphaFlow Launches “Tax Implications of Crowdfunding” eBook (Benzinga), Rated: B
To help investors more effectively evaluate real estate crowdfunding investment opportunities and their potential tax implications, AlphaFlow has released its inaugural eBook: “Tax Implications Of Crowdfunding.” This 23-page eBook, written by AlphaFlow and Sundin & Fish, CPA, closely examines the top tax issues investors must consider as they invest across the real estate crowdfunding industry.
- A few of the topics discussed in this eBook include:
- Types of crowdfunding platforms
- Differences between debt and equity deals
- Federal and state tax issues
- Pros and cons of using self-directed IRAs
- Unrelated Business Taxable Income (UBTI)
- Tax planning and strategies
Ballard Spahr closes San Diego office (Bloomberg Law), Rated: B
Ballard Spahr, which recently lost two partners to Dinsmore & Shohl, said it has closed its office in San Diego, transferring other lawyers from the city to its Los Angeles office. (Legal Intelligencer)
Funding Circle CEO Says Business Boomed After Brexit (Bloomberg), Rated: AAA
ThinCats teams up with Alderburn Finance to fund Scottish marine trainer (P2P Finance News), Rated: A
THINCATS has sealed a deal with commercial finance broker Alderburn Finance and Stream Marine Training (SMT) to help the latter step up its cost efficiency and growth plans.
The peer-to-peer lending platform, which channels funds to small- and medium-sized enterprises, will help the Scottish training specialist cut time and overall costs as it plan to boost its consultancy services to the global maritime, oil and gas, renewables and construction sectors.
Edinburgh-based Alderburn Finance acted as a loan sponsor, as it vetted the borrower’s funding application and assisted ThinCats in the origination process.
Navigating a complex market (P2P Finance News), Rated: A
Despite being around for many years, direct lending, which also encompasses peer-to-peer (P2P) lending, has only recently been recognised as a mainstream asset class.
There are several fundamental things to consider if you are thinking about direct lending as an addition to your investment portfolio.
- Your objectives: Be clear about your objectives and your appetite for risk. Why are you investing?
- Timing: Investing in direct lending can be more effective if you keep your money invested for at least 12 months.
- Diversification: Diversification is also an effective tactic.
- Loan opportunities: A good rule of thumb is to use the RADAR principle: reason, assets, duration, amount, repayment.
- Investing for Capital Growth or Income: The concept of compounding applies to direct lending in the same way as other investments.
- Taking control: Finally, it’s good to stay pro-active.
Dianrong Acquires Asset-Origination Operations of Quark Finance (PR Newswire), Rated: AAA
Dianrong today announced the acquisition of Quark Finance’s asset-origination operations, including the new Credit Studio platform. This transaction will significantly expand and strengthen Dianrong’s existing asset-generation capabilities across China.
Quark Finance operates 71 borrower service centers in 47 Chinese cities. These centers provide comprehensive loan underwriting data collection and servicing. Dianrong already operates 28 technology-enabled borrower service centers in 27 cities in China.
Additionally, Quark Finance owns and operates Credit Studio, a platform that provides data analysis through automated and human interactions to achieve mass-production credit evaluations and processing. Credit Studio leverages Dianrong’s technology to minimize manual activities and lower operational risks, expenses and processing time. Marketplace-lending assets generated by Credit Studio are available to Dianrong and Quark Finance lenders.
By combining Quark Finance’s borrower network with Dianrong’s existing local footprint and fintech capabilities, Dianrong is adding significant scale to its overall asset-generation capabilities. The combination also adds new distribution channels for Dianrong’s borrower lending products and services.
Wang Zhengyu: It will take more time to make profit for China Rapid Finance (Xing Ping She), Rated: A
Recently, China Rapid Finance held a media briefing on IPO issues and Q1 financial report. Just before the meeting, Wang Zhengyu, the CEO of China Rapid Finance, revealed that the company currently is still in the loss. Although, it doesn’t mean a bad management for the company, it’s just a problem of time to make money.
In Q1 2017, China Rapid Finance’s net loss is $149 million, decresed by 46 percent on the basis of the earlier time. The net revenue is $10.5 million, declined by 20 percent compared with the beginning of the year. In fact, China Rapid Finance has been being losed for two consecutive years, the loss amount in 2016 and 2017 were $33.366 million and $3002.6 million respectively. In 2014, the profit was only $131,000.
Europe’s alternative finance market hits $ 9.1 billion in first quarter (Consultancy.uk), Rated: AAA
The alternative finance economy for mid-market players across Europe hit $9.1 billion in closed deals across the first quarter of 2017. Deal activity in the relatively new segment hit more than a 1000 accumulative deals this year, with the UK remaining out ahead in terms of closed deals – at almost 400. Fundraising for buyouts remains the driving force for turning to alternative lending platforms.
In response to demand, marketplace lenders (MPLs) have sprung up – usually as online platforms – which, through a range of new mechanisms, offer an easy means for peer-to-peer lending across a range of segments – with low returns on other forms of assets continuing to entice investors to the market.
In total around 1011 deals were completed in the past 18 quarters across the burgeoning market, with 612 of those in Europe and 399 in the UK – making the UK by far the largest contributor in terms of activity.
In the UK the most deals took place in the technology, media & communications segment, at 19% of all deals, followed by the business, infrastructure & professional services segments, at 18%. Human capital represented 6% of deals in the UK, while financial services firms accounted for 10% of closures.
ECN Reminder to Complete Cross Border Crowdfunding Survey (Crowddfund Insider), Rated: A
The European Crowdfunding Network (ECN) is reminding alternative finance industry types to complete the survey on cross-border crowdfunding and online lending (IE P2P lending, marketplace lending etc.). The survey deadline is 12 Noon this Friday, July 14th.
The survey focuses only on crowdfunding models that entail a financial return, notably:
- investment-based crowdfunding (where companies issue equity or debt instruments to crowd-investors through a platform) and
- lending-based crowdfunding (where companies or individuals seek to obtain funds from the public through platforms in the form of a loan agreement)
Paycock Enters Russian Fintech Market with Its Convenient Mobile Payment Service (MarketWatch), Rated: A
The K-ICT Born2Global Centre, a major Korean government agency under the Ministry of Science, ICT and Future Planning (MSIP), announced that Paycock, one of its member companies, has signed a business MOU with AEB IT, a Russian financial IT corporation. As a result, Paycock will now begin commercializing its mobile payment solution to satisfy the needs of the Russian financial market, which is expected to undergo rapid growth in the near future.
Paycock Check is a mobile payment service that does not require a card-reading device, as the entire payment process is conducted using only a smartphone camera and near field communication (NFC) technology.
Fintech lender strikes partnership with major Italian bank (AltFi), Rated: A
iwoca has announced a strategic partnership with Italy’s Intesa Sanpaolo. The fintech lending platform will now sell its credit products into the Italian banking group’s SME client-base.
Intesa Sanpaolo is one of the biggest banking groups in Europe, with a market capitalisation of €42.7bn. The company boasts over 11.1 million customers in Italy alone, but is also active across Central Europe, Eastern Europe, the Middle East and North Africa.
Top 40 Payments Functions Trailblazers (Everest Group), Rated: AAA
Why a majority of Australians don’t know about peer-to-peer lending (news.com.au), Rated: A
New research by Finder.com.au has found despite the sector growing from one to eight lenders since it launched in Australia in 2012, 65 per cent of consumers don’t know about it and women are less likely than men to understand and use it.
Finder’s research found that only 8 per cent of women would consider using a P2P lender, compared with 20 per cent of men, and three-quarters of women do not know what it is.
Finder’s data shows 63 per cent growth in P2P users in the past six months, while data from some providers shows 195 per cent growth last financial year.
Accel-backed Good Methods Global acqui-hires fintech startup Save Your Money (VC Circle), Rated: AAA
Save Your Money (SYM), a fintech startup that offers an automated micro-saving platform, has been acqui-hired by health-tech startup Good Methods Global (GMG), a company statement said.
What is LoanAdda doing to make itself profitable in a crowded market? (Your Story), Rated: A
But all this was far from the mind of Anshuman Mishra (39), when he set up LoanAdda in 2015 to make loans available to large sections of people left out from the purview of the informal and formal banking channels.
As someone who was responsible for managing ICICI Bank’s priority sector lending business, he was acutely aware of the limited access to credit for unbanked customers and poor guidance in facilitating loans.
Today, 78 percent of LoanAdda’s customers are first-time loan takers. Moreover, LoanAdda’s technology algorithm follows its own logic while measuring the eligibility of a certain customer to take loans and throws up the best possible product to the consumer.
Currently, LoanAdda has tie-ups with more than 42 banks to provide home, business, personal, gold and collateral loans on its platform. Through a partnership with India Infoline, an NBFC, the company also gives out its own loans.
Anshuman says that 50-60 percent of LoanAdda’s customers are salaried people with a monthly salary of less than Rs 40,000. The average ticket size is Rs 3.39 lakh for unsecured loans and Rs 34 lakh for secured loans. However, 70-75 percent of all loan takers on the platform get loans of less than Rs 30 lakh.
Why Indians Should Invest in Peer-to-Peer Lending (BW Disrupt), Rated: B
Online peer-to-peer lending as a prospective investment class offers many unique propositions.
- Net Returns and Interest Yields
While savings accounts or fixed deposits usually yield interest rates of 6% to 8% on average, Mutual funds on the other hand, offer returns averaging at 9% to 13%, with some funds yielding up to 15% p.a. Compare this to online P2P loans, which can generate average net returns of 18% to 22% p.a for lenders.
- No Lock-in period, enjoy benefits of compounding interest
- Risk Mitigation
As with any debt-based investment, there is a risk of default in online P2P lending as well. But since the premise on which P2P lending is based is similar to that of debt instruments, the capital risk is lower, and there are ways to mitigate it. One of these is diversification.
Singapore and Thailand Central Banks Unite in FinTech Deal (Cryptocoins News), Rated: AAA
The Bank of Thailand (BOT) and the Monetary Authority of Singapore (MAS) have entered a FinTech Cooperation Agreement (CA) to further develop and enhance the existing financial ecosystem in the ASEAN region.
The agreement aims to “develop a richer financial ecosystem” in both countries and South-East Asia, an announcement revealed. As per the agreement, both central banks will also share information on new and emerging market trends in an era of micro-financing and digitization as well as their impact on traditional regulatory practices.
Vertex Ventures invests $ 2m in Turnkey Lender (Deal Street Asia), Rated: AAA
Turnkey Lender, a cloud- based loan management system, has raised $2 million venture investment from Vertex Ventures. The venture offers a SaaS solution that employs machine learning and data analysis to understand potential loan applicants, ranging from small scale to large scale loans.
Turnkey Lender has previously received seed funding from SMRK VC Fund. The initial development for the company was done in the Ukraine, where it has its roots. It is currently headquartered in Singapore, where the team believes that can have greater flexibility in approaching the different financial needs of their international clients.
Investment proceeds will be used to engage in expanding business operations across the region, product development and talent acquisition. The company told DEALSTREETASIA that the primary growth markets it if focusing on are Indonesia, Philippines and Thailand.
Bank Mandiri invests in cashless payment startup (Nikkei Asian Review), Rated: A
The venture capital unit of Indonesia’s largest lender by assets, Bank Mandiri, on Wednesday said it is leading a $2 million funding round for local financial technology startup Cashlez, which claims to offer a portable, more user-friendly alternative to electronic data capture machines.
Cashlez’s “mobile point of sales” system runs on a slim card-reader device operated with a smartphone application.
John D. Orr, Senior Banker and Investor, Joins FutureVault as Chief Executive Officer and a Significant Investor (PR Newswire), Rated: A
FutureVault, a personal and business information management company, has named banking executive, lawyer, entrepreneur and investment professional John D. Orr as Chief Executive Officer. In addition to joining the management team, Mr. Orr has made a significant personal investment in the Company for a material ownership position.
Launched commercially in North America in late 2016 after two years of development, FutureVault has created an advanced cloud-based information management platform with patents pending. In an increasingly digital world, characterized by volume, complexity and risk, FutureVault’s secure platform provides both individuals and businesses with the tools and intelligence to select, retain and optimize all their information. The platform represents a new category: an intelligent, secure, encrypted, auditable repository for all the information in one’s life or business. FutureVault’s product suite and feature set accommodate a broad range of customer information management needs, from a relatively straightforward individual’s requirements to those of a multi-jurisdictional business or a large family office.