The University of Chicago Booth School of Business is the second oldest school in the U.S. and second to none when it comes to influencing business education and business practices. Since 1898, the school has produced ideas and leaders that shape the world of business. Their rigorous, discipline-based approach to business education transforms students into confident, effective, respected business leaders prepared to face the toughest challenges.
Chicago Booth has the finest set of facilities of any business school in the world. Each of the four campuses (two in Chicago, one in London, and one in Hong Kong) reflects the architectural traditions of its environs while offering a state-of-the-art learning environment.
Chicago Booth is proud to claim:
- An unmatched faculty.
- Degree and open enrollment programs offered on three continents.
- A global body of nearly 50,000 accomplished alumni.
- Strong and growing corporate relationships that provide a wealth of lifelong career opportunities.
As part of the world-renowned University of Chicago, Chicago Booth shares the University’s core values that shape the distinctive intellectual culture. At Booth, they constantly question and test ideas, and seek proof. This extraordinarily effective approach to business leads to new ideas and innovative solutions. Seven of the Booth faculty members have won Nobel Prizes for these ideas the first business school to achieve this accomplishment.
For more information about the University of Chicago Booth School of Business, please visit: http://www.chicagobooth.edu/
Unit Job Summary: Senior Researcher, FinTech Engagement
The Senior Researcher, FinTech Engagement focuses on the Polsky Center for Entrepreneurship and Innovation’s work to further develop its research and educational programming to fit this fast-changing sector. The Senior Researcher, FinTech Platform Engagement would have responsibilities in two major areas: research on FinTech platforms and developing programming for FinTech education and networking.
The position has some flexibility of daily schedule but will begin in December 2016 and run through April 2017 and is limited to approximately 700 total hours under the contract.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Support for Research on FinTech Platforms
The 2017 Alternative Finance in the Americas Benchmarking reporting will be the second comprehensive survey of the fast-changing online alternative finance market in the Americas. The survey will be conducted by the Polsky Center and the Cambridge Centre for Alternative Finance at the University of Cambridge Judge Business School with the support of CME Group Foundation. This effort is led by E.J. Reedy, Director at the Polsky Center, with faculty advisor Randy Kroszner, Norman R. Bobins Professor of Economics. (See inaugural report: Breaking New Ground: The Americas Alternative Finance Benchmarking Report.)
The Polsky Center is seeking outgoing and persuasive candidates who are interested in bringing rigor and analysis to the emerging alternative finance industry. Duties and responsibilities will include:
- Reviewing relevant websites and materials from the industry to identify potential survey participants and relevant trends
- Working with potential survey participants to collect data responses
- Statistical analysis of primary and secondary data
- Preparation of memos, tables and graphs based on findings
- Assisting in all aspects of collection on the 2017 Alternative Finance in the Americas report
Support for FinTech Educational Programming and Networking
The Polsky Exchange fosters innovation and commercialization through 34,000 square feet of shared co-working space, a state of the art Fab Lab, and a full calendar of programming and workshops designed to help entrepreneurs translate their ideas and technologies into startups. During 2016-2017, the Polsky Exchange is focusing on building out a new industry vertical in programming and support related to FinTech.
The Polsky Center is seeking outgoing and persuasive candidates whose duties and responsibilities will include:
- Networking with local/regional FinTech ecosystems to better connect resources internally and externally.
- Develop and lead 1 to 2 potential programming events related to topics that could include blockchain, alternative credit and unstructured data.
- Master’s Degree in Business, Finance, or Economics-related field, preferred
- Experience working in FinTech or entrepreneurship strongly preferred
- Experience working with survey research
- Outstanding interpersonal, critical reasoning, analytic, and writing skills
- Strong problem solving capability
- The ability to work on multiple projects simultaneously, both independently and in project teams
- Strong proficiency with MS Office software
- Proficiency in Spanish preferred
Interested candidates should send a cover letter and resume to E.J. Reedy at ereedy0 @ chicagobooth.edu.