Lending Times’ April Meetup took place yesterday Thursday, April 8th and was sponsored by Manatt, Manatt, Phelps & Phillips LLP, a progressive and entrepreneurial law firm with offices across the US, representing a sophisticated client base in various industries.
The topic of focus was:
Latest updates on p2p and marketplace lending
My full presentation titled “Latest updates on p2p and marketplace lending ” can be downloaded here : Latest updates on p2p and marketplace lending
Here were the main topics in my presentation:
- Slight increase in default rate, mostly in the sub-prime layers and only in some asset classes
- Which attracted attention to a potential downturn. What will happen in a downturn?
- The Capital Markets already reacted to these concerns which led to a few surprises
- And it also affected originators increasing the difficulty in raising capital
- In the meantime what is going on with the regulators ?
- And the latest Lending Club changes on regulation and capital sources.
- During this time, some market segments are doing well: New entrants and Real Estate Crowdfunding
- And to wrap up 2 theoretical thoughts on underwriting and rate increase theory
The presentations and the Q&A session with the panel with the following participants :
• Matt Burton, CEO @ Orchard Platform
• Michael Finkelstein, Founder, and CEO @ The Credit Junction
• Christian Lawless, Founder, and Managing Partner @ Conversion Capital
• George Popescu, Editor-in-Chief @ Lending Times, “The latest trends in Marketplace Lending”
• Brian Korn, Partner @ Manatt, Phelps & Phillips LLP, “First-hand experience working with startups in p2p and marketplace lending”
• Ram Ahluwalia, Founder, and CEO @ PeerIQ
Author : George Popescu